Friday, October 9, 2009

Learning the violin, Part I.V - A new teacher.

My original "teacher" bailed on me and I'm at the point in learning where I'm absolutely terrified of breaking something and/or learning bad habits.

I've discovered that in Cleveland it's actually far easier to find a violin teacher than the nearest drive-through food joint (There are 12 teachers -- that I know of -- and 5 drive-throughs joints in a 3 mile radius). I also found out that the daughter of a friend of my grandmother is not only a professional violinist that lives in Cleveland Heights but she also teaches and really likes teaching adult beginners. Score!

Wednesday evening I went over for my first lesson. I got a much better vibe from her and am excited to continue down the path; I have a much better idea of what I need to work on and how I need to do it -- plus notes to reference. The bow hold is still causing me consternation. It looks like it should be so much easier than it is, but my pinkie keeps slipping off the top and my thumb keeps wanting to lock itself straight. But at least now I'm much more confident of what it should look like so I can correct myself when I'm practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment