Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cleveland Orchestra: Shostakovich 5, etc.

... after the CMA Member's Reception I walked back over to Severance Hall for Shostakovitch's 5th Symphony.

Wow.

Especially contrasting to the previous evening's utter disappointment with Apollo's Fire I was thrilled by the program. The first two pieces (Haydn's Symphony No. 85 (“La Reine”) and Wagner's Prelude & Love-Death – Tristan and Isolde were good; the Shostakovitch piece was breathtaking. The encore was a touch depressing, though intentionally so -- I am not aware of the composer or title of the piece.

My absolute delight with Shostakovitch's 5th Symphony reinforces a key reason for why I attend Cleveland Orchestra concerts: I had never heard of Shostakovitch prior to this program; it was a fantastic new discovery.

Box 7, Seat C affords a decent position both acoustically and visually.

Lincoln

2 comments:

  1. I'm also trying to figure out what the encore was on Friday's performance. The Plain Dealer reported Saturday's encore was Wagner's Prelude to "Lohengrin" -- but I believe they played something different on Friday. It was slow, moving, and had the strings playing many different parts.

    http://www.cleveland.com/music/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1254558967231190.xml&coll=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps this is my lack of total awareness of the "Orchestra Experience" but I'm somewhat perplexed as to why they wouldn't announce the title and composer and instead leave us all to guess. Saturday's encore really worked the strings but I couldn't even begin to guess as to what it was.

    ReplyDelete