Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dobama: Ten More Minutes from Cleveland

My initial perception was that "Ten More Minutes from Cleveland" was another of "The Cleveland Plays". I'm honestly not sure if it is -- I don't think it is.

In any event, I was lured out based on three criteria: The fact that Dobama's new home is literally just down the street from me, I had nothing better to do, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss one of the Cleveland Plays, having seen the first two (actually, the only two Dobama plays I've seen).

I was not disappointed. It was presented a thoroughly funny romp through Cleveland and in some places struck too close to home. Being a non-native Cherise's plight particularly resonated -- and the incredulous "You moved to Cleveland from [Arizona in her case, California in mine]!?!?!" line is an all-too common one. I'm honesltly suprised at the number of Clevelanders who think that there's nothing good about this city.

It just kind of worked; I can't pinpoint one particular actor, scene, technique but it all of fit togehter.

Dobama's new home is both convenient and comfortable; I have a feeling that I will be attending most of the season's productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment