Friday, October 9, 2009

Cleveland Orchestra: Fridays@7

In one word: "Mindblowing"

I was very much on the fence about doing the whole Fridays@7 thing based on the abbreviated program-- I go to Severance to "discover" new-to-me classical, and the pieces that were omitted from tonight's program really sounded interesting; but I also wanted to give the new format a spin.

The program certainly attracted a different mix than I'm used to seeing in the hall -- though I will say that I don't think I've done a Friday night concert before -- and for the first time I didn't feel like the youngest person on the Box level; typically I feel like I could pass as a grandchild of 75%+ of the boxholders.

On stage in the hall the Beethoven pieces met my expectations; honestly nothing remarkable comes to mind, though the I'm still perplexed by why the pianist was wearing a rain poncho... is there a leak in the roof at Severance?

Post-concert festivities in the lobby were amazing there was energy that I don't think I've ever felt before pulsing through the building. The place was packed -- it was a challenge just to move between floors, let alone navigate the floor of the lobby. But it was well worth it.

My reservations about missing music are preserved, but I am nearly certain I shall do the next Fridays@7 concert provided I'm in Cleveland when it happens... I would recommend it to anyone from 10-110.

No comments:

Post a Comment