Wednesday, November 4, 2009

CIM Chamber Orchestra: Beethoven, Bloch, Copland and Violin Part IV

Beethoven: Symphony No. 2 in D major, op. 36
Bloch: Concerto Grosso No. 1
Copland: Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra

I started this evening with violin lesson number four... I feel like a massive amount of progress has been made, but there's plenty of ground left to cover. I then made my way to CIM for a magnificent concert.

Seeing Copland on the billing is what got me through the door--depending on my mood if you ask who my favorite composer is Copland would be as likely an answer as Gershwin, Newman [either of them] or Williams. I think, though, this is the first time I've heard Copland played live. I don't have a favorite piece from this concert simply because I thoroughly enjoyed and was engaged by all of them.

I think Symphony No. 2 became my favorite Beethoven piece, had a magnificent energy... and I may be committing sacrilege by saying this but in the 2nd or 3rd movement I could have sworn I heard hints of the the Looney Tunes theme. The lack of an adagio certainly doesn't hurt.

Likewise, while I've only heard one Bloch piece before this evening (and that piece didn't particularly enthrall me) Concerto Grosso No. 1 held me spellbound through all four movements. The counterpoint that popped up throughout the piece was intriguing, and the Fugue was particularly interesting especially with the violas kicking off the movement.

Copland's Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra was great, but didn't captivate me to the same level as Symphony No. 2 or Concerto Grosso No. 1 --- the prolonged clarinet solo in the middle of the piece just felt too long.

The gentleman next to me made a comment about half of the orchestra playing out of key--it's possible that that's the case, but I certainly didn't hear it.

Have I mentioned this week how much I love Cleveland, and everything this city has to offer... Or how amazed I am at the talent of the students at CIM (and that CIM offers this programming to the public at no charge)?

No comments:

Post a Comment