Thursday, September 3, 2009

San Francisco: Day 4

Finshed up work today... tomorrow is all play.

This afternoon I tried doing MoMA (closed Wednesdays) and wound up walking half way across San Francisco to Golden Gate Park, Haight/Asbury, and the de Young musuem.

Where I discovered "Art and Power in the Central African Savannah"; a exhibition that is organized by the Cleveland Musuem of Art -- and that I had seen in Cleveland. While it was interesting to see the same peices organized differently, I have to admit that I am still largely unmoved by African art.

Some of the other pieces in the musuem though were remarkable -- my "art favorites" are definately grounded in the 1920s-40s, and it seems like the de Young has a much larger proportion of it's collection (on display) from this time period.

Earlier in the day I stumbled across the Wells Fargo History Museum practically steps away from the hotel and spent some time exploring; 90% or more of the museum was dedicated to bank robberies -- I guess that's the colorful part, there was some content on early stage operations, which was very interesting (sidenotes: involved with the Butterfield Stage, which was routed through Temecula, and the Western Headquarters of the Pony Express was steps away from where my hotel is located) but I would have been interested to see something on the evolution of the bank branch across the past 150 years or so.

Met a friend and former coworker at Midi for dinner -- nice atmosphere, great service, steak was eh...about what I'd expect for the price. Fries were good, sorbet was likewise good.

Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment