Sunday, September 27, 2009

CIM Orchestra - Dvorak's Symphony No. 9

Wednesday evening I found myself at CIM for the "CIM Orchestra" performance of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 ("From The New World"). Also on the program were Berlioz's Overture to Benvenuto Cellini and Ginastera's Harp Concerto, Op. 25.

Musically, the Orchestra sounded fantastic; the talent in that group is amazing.

The Berlioz piece started strong but just seemed to keep going and going and going until I simply got bored with it and it seemed to loose energy. I liked almost everything in the Harp Concerto... except the harp. Normally I like the "harp sound" but something about this piece... perhaps because the harp was the focus rather than an accent... left me feeling like it would have been better overall if the harp had been omitted. Yes, I realize it's a harp concerto.

The first two movements of Dvorak's 9 were great... a bit slow for my taste but great. The third and fourth movements were literally music for my ears; it would have been worth going out for those two movements alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment