Sunday, September 27, 2009

Learning the Violin, Part I -- A new appreciation

The perfect series of events lined up and I've decided to learn how to play the violin. Considering my musical ability, or complete lack thereof this is a major leap.

I didn't expect this to be easy. I didn't expect this to be quick. It isn't going to be easy, nor is it going to be quick.

I expected the fingering to be a challenge... but I'm not even that far yet. Things that I didn't even consider -- bow hold, tuning, and holding the violin itself are kicking my rear end. The two "holds" largely becuse I'm deathly afraid of starting with a bad habit; the tuning because I really feel like I'm missing something here -- every time I try it seems like something wierd happens. And I'm afraid of causing damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment