Sunday, February 14, 2010

Heights Chamber Orchestra:

Bizet: Prelude from L'Alesineent Suite No. 1
Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
Bizet: Movements from L'Arlesienne Suites 1 and 2 (Carillon, Intermezzo, Minuet, and Farandole)

I attended this evening's concert with a friend; she lit up when she saw Bizet on the program and asked me if I was more partial to Bizet or Chopin; answering honestly at the beginning of the program I had no partiality; come the end of the program, I was firmly in the Bizet camp.

The piano concerto was beautifully played, but the piano had a tendency to drown out the rest of the orchestra at times and there were a few not quite perfect notes from the strings.

All of the Bizet pieces sounded somewhat familiar, but Carillon and Farandole from L'Arlesienne sounded particularly familiar-- in reviewing my notes, I see that Farandole was on the Cleveland Orchestra's Christmas concert program; it was equally enjoyable at this performance.

Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment