Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sigh. Sunday Night

Ok. It's Sunday evening. I really want to do something but -- and this is relatively rare -- Cleveland isn't cooperating.

No shows that I haven't seen that I'm even the slightest bit interested in.
No movies that look even the least bit worth it.
No concerts that sound appealing.

Speaking of movies, "The Goods" was on the list for yesterday, mainly out of sheer desparation. The most unfunny comedy I've ever seen -- I've seen dramas that exacted more laughs. The only thing it had going for it was that it was set in a highly fictionalized version of the city I grew up in. The movie ends with two angels singing "Temecula's not even mother-(explitive)ing Fresno". Having spent time in both, I don't know that I'd go that far.

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Cleveland Orchestra/Joffrey Ballet collaboration at Blossom. The second half of the program was immensely more enjoyable than the first half, but that's not to say that the first half was unenjoyable. It was interesting to see the musicians in Blossom's pit -- I have to admit that I never knew that Blossom had a proper pit, but it would have been nice to actually see them play.

One of the reasons I love seeing/hearing/experiencing classical music live -- and attending the Orchestra in particular is the visual; it sounds great, but watching musicians working as a team to accomplish the sound that is music (the strings especially, violins in particular watching the bows move rhythmically) adds a certain unmatchable something extra.

Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment