Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Paciencia y Fe / Owner of a Lonely Heart

The title of this post (Translation: Patience and Faith) is the title of a song -- and a recurring theme -- in the musical In the Heights. While I am In the Heights, but not in the Heights that the musical is based in, I find two aspects of my life where I am reminding myself of the importance of both Patience and Faith.

I'm having one of those biweeks that simultaneously uplifting and depressing: On the uplifting front, in the past two weeks I've bumped into more people I "know" in places I wouldn't expect in the nearly five years since moving to Cleveland, it kind of makes me feel like I have a place, on the not so uplifting...


Violin Wise... I really thought I was doing reasonably well, but I had an awakening about exactly how bad my intonation is. I feel like I've taken a big step backwards, but I'm working on it: Over the past week if I play at somewhere around 1 BPM I can usually hit fairly close to the note I want. Of course, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice, and training my ear to hear the oh-so-subtle differences between perfectly "on" and a more-than-a-little "off".

I also feel like my rhythm is slipping out of control but that seems like it's easier to fix at tempo...just when I fix that any semblance of proper intonation goes out the window. Paciencia y Fe. It's of no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I am not the most patient person out there, apparently, particularly when it comes to dotted notes where I don't pause long enough. My violin teacher circled all of them in a piece that I'm working in to remind me to slow down... I couldn't help but to think that they all looked like happy faces. How can you say no to two Gs on the linked on the same bow? Paciencia y Fe.

Relationship*-wise
all I can say is Pacinceia aargh Y aargh Fe. (I'm temporarially supressing the rest of this category under the heading of "questionable judgement"...but it may return.

Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment